Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Collecting Heimo

    March 24, 2017 in England ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Train down to Taunton - let the adventure begin.
    After much research and a couple of test drives Rachel and I decided on the Hymer T522 for our first motorhome and it was with great excitement that we caught the train from Penistone to Sheffield and on to Taunton in Somerset to pick it up.

    We arrived at Taunton station and went out the wrong exit, hanging around in the cold wind for about 30 minutes wondering if Somerset Motorhomes had forgotten about us and the T522 was just clever way to get us to pay over a lump of our savings! We finally got word that our lift was on the other side of the station waiting for us so we traipsed across the station and loaded out case and duvet in the boot and headed off.

    The handover itself was informative, Rachel videoed the only remotely complicated bit on how the heating system works, the rest seemed pretty straight forward. Nick was his usual impatient self and just wanted to jump in and drive off! Eventually it was time to head off to a local site for our first overnight stop to test things out ahead of a final handover the next day.

    The site was clean, but close to a motorway with the constant drone of passing cars, something we don't hear a lot of in Carlecotes! We pulled up, hooked up the electricity and turned on the gas, played with the cooker to heat some water and promptly opened our first bottle of wine to be consumed in the van, we suspect the first of many!
    Read more