Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Wellington Heath to Carlecotes

    March 26, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    We drove up the motorway and crossed in to Wales, following the River Wye up towards Chepstow. On the way we pulled in a Tintern Abbey, a beautiful, well preserved site that back on to the River Wye and the border with England. We left there and meandered up through Monmouthshire and on into Gloucestershire and our destination The Farmers Arms in a little village called Wellington Heath. We pulled up in the car park, having sought permission beforehand, and had a hot drink before heading out for a walk.

    The village was accessed up a steep windy lane and backed on to woodland and open fields. We followed the public footpath, meeting a few dog walkers on our way, and strolled down across the fields and long the side of a stream. At one point we met a couple out running and Nick asked if the walk looped back in to Wellington Heath - they assured us it did and that it was only about 45 minutes. A 45 minute walk wasn't the problem, it was the fact it was up a very muddy trail, it was getting dark, we were tired and getting hungry....so we headed back to Heimo and changed for supper. The meal was excellent, we enjoyed some good food and wine and by the time we got back to Heimo we were really tired and were quickly asleep, despite the occasional guest leaving the pub after closing time.

    The next day we headed off about 10am, having enjoyed breakfast and a hot drink. We meandered slowly up through some stunningly beautiful scenery, lovely little country villages, picture postcard stuff, up through the Wyre forest, passing Kidderminster and cutting across the M6 above Stafford, on to Mayfield. We stopped for a break near Mayfield, enjoying a coffee and some cake and then headed up through the Peak District national park dropping in to Glossop and then home.
    Read more