Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Nova Scotia or bust.

    July 2, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    The rain was coming down like stair rods as we left the motel at Cavendish on PEI to catch the ferry at Wood islands an hour and twenty minutes away. It was full and as I had booked in advance, we got on. Unlike the two rows of cars that were left on the quayside and had to wait for the next boat. On arrival at Caribou, we drove through the forests and the occasional gathering of houses to the South Coast of the Nova Scotia peninsular where Scott and Denise’s ‘granny flat’ is above their garage. Very nice and private with views over the Petpeswick lake and surrounding Forrests near the community of Gaetz brook.

    Halifax is half an hours drive away and it has a beautiful harbour. We parked at Dartmouth on the Eastern side and then hopped on the ferry for the ten minute ride over to the city. Can’t say it’s that interesting. Blocks of 1970s high rise business’s line the waterfront with a bit of heritage squeezed in between. The land sharply raises to the fort, we know as we climbed it. This leaves the tourist trying to find something photogenic to snap and there was a few of them around as the cruise ship ‘Queen Mary 2’ was tied up further along the quay. For me a saving grace is that there are number of small breweries dotted around the city. We visited one called 2 crows, no history just shiny stainless still vats. Beers ok just the one as I was driving. May come back as we missed the immigration museum and the three other breweries.
    Read more