Satellite
  • Day 93

    Copacabana & Isla del Sol

    May 6, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Our last stop in Bolivia brings us to the shores of Lake Titicaca, before we cross over into Peru.

    After arriving in Copacabana, we found our hostel, Piedra Andina, which was so nice - like a little home away from home. The weather was glorious and we had a great view of the lake from our balcony. We then went out to explore the town. It's fairly small, you don't need that long to explore there.

    We walked up to El Calvario which is 4,100m above sea level. It was a bit of a walk due to the altitude but the views from the top made it worth it. We also visited the Catderal which is a beautiful white building amidst the typical Bolivian half-built houses. We got our bus tickets for Cusco and then had some food and played draughts.

    The next day, Dad and I got up early to go to Isla del Sol. We didn't realise that the boat takes one and a half hours to go a fairly short distance - the boat was painfully slow and we made the mistake of staying on the boat even longer to go to Isla de la Luna which there is virtually nothing there. We finally arrived at Isla Del Sol around 1pm (we had left at 8.30am) and had some lunch. After we explored a bit. Once you're away from people trying to sell you stuff the island is really idyllic and peaceful. On great form, the sun came out and we enjoyed a good view from the top of the island.

    We left the island at 3pm and got back at 5. I had forgotten that the entries for the London Marathon closed the next day and we were getting a night bus to Cusco. In a frantic rush before our bus, I went to an Internet cafe to apply for the ballot. We then got our bus and crossed the border into Peru.

    This marks the end of another country on my travels. I have really enjoyed Bolivia - it's a world away from Chile and Argentina. It's a lot rougher around the edges but there is so much beauty in the country and the people I found to be friendly.
    Read more