Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Day 18

    October 26, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Munda Biddi: Day 18 - 26 October 2023

    Denmark to Albany 83 klms

    Touted to be a relatively easy days ride - the final stage of the Munda Biddi proved to be just so.
    Knowing we’d not be challenged by treacherous or torturous conditions Mark, Cormac and myself set off at a less hectic pace than had been my norm on many previous stages of the trail.
    Tracking alongside Wilson Inlet and crossing the Denmark River the single track with glorious views of the water lead us onto flat gravel farm roads and bush tracks.
    Morning tea was at the Surf Shack Cafe that adjoins the local well renowned Surfboard Museum. Whilst we arrived before the 10:00am opening the custodian couple, born and bred locals, were eager to cater our caffeine penchant and we added a cake or two. As our host, who no doubt could chat all day explained the historic past of the once was dairy, come workers quarters and now rustic popular entertainment venue we motioned toward our bikes. Granting us leave and a parting quib, he mentioned that bikepackers are a more sociable bunch than are the hikers who pass through. That’s a plus for bikepackers- a different kind of cyclist.
    Soon after, Mark diverted from our path to spend a night and a lay day at Cosy Corner to recount childhood memories. We were to catch up again once he makes it to Albany.
    Our journey onwards to the township of Elleker and the petrol station come general store for lunch, gave us the chance to experience a big, fast downhill run along well maintained gravel roads. All of which came after our conquering yet one more steep accent. Yeah!
    It’s always wise to refer to travel notes and local knowledge and the warnings with respect to snakes being more prevalent in this region were on point! Seen but not bitten.
    Entering Albany the final section of our trek was on the road into town with a not so gentle reminder of one of the many challenges encountered on the Munda Biddi.
    After weeks in the saddle it just wouldn’t have been right if we were to enter town without succumbing to a penultimate challenge - a hill!
    And it was a good hill to boot!
    Having negotiated that, our ultimate challenge was to find the finishing point of The Munda Biddi Trail.
    We did eventually, after a little bit of sightseeing and exploring as a result of a wrong turn or two arrive at the Albany Information Centre and the designated finishing area- the Munda Biddy Trail Southern Terminus.
    As is customary, we took a moment to sign our names in the official Munda Biddi E2E register.
    Finished! Kind of …
    There was the daily need to set up camp, wash and eat. For me a saga in its own right.
    Cormac, like so many who’ve bike packed previously, had months before, set a realistic, achievable schedule having planned biking days and lay days and their accommodation.
    As a novice and not really having a tight schedule booking accommodation had been a bit hit and miss.
    Astonishingly, accommodation in Albany around the city centre was scarce and I had no desire to be on the outskirts of town.
    Knowing that Cormac had booked into a Motel I visited its website and snagged a room at what appeared to be a very respectable price. A family suite, plenty of room to spread out shower and so on.
    Not quite so. A room on the third floor of the pub with a shared bathroom and nowhere to safely leave my bike. I’d fluffed it. Clicked the wrong button, booked the wrong room and I was flummoxed. As a culminating experience I’d hoped for a little bit of luxury.
    Realizing my error I returned to reception and asked if I might be offered a refund and or an upgrade to a self contained Motel Suite. After a stand off and a not can do no available room discussion during which the temperature of the participating parties began to increase when I asked for and then demanded a refund. Miraculously, there was a momentary pause accompanied by a click here and a click there and hey presto - a motel suite was available. Thank goodness!
    Checked in. Moved bike inside. Unpacked. Showered. Snoozed and dined with Cormac to toast and celebrate our Munda Biddi End to End achievement.
    Read more