Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 17

    October 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Munda Biddi: Day 17- 25 October 2023

    Duckett’s Mill to Denmark 45 klms

    After such a fortuitous offer to camp within the garden walls protected from the wind I had a terrific night’s sleep and awoke recharged. With two days to travel Cormac’s suggestion to stay at Duckett’s Mill certainly proved to be a panacea to my waning spirit.
    Rising with the sun and a plan to accompany each other over the remainder of our venture we were able to get away early and set off at a leisurely pace. With only 45 kilometres to Denmark, a fine day forecast and the Southern Ocean beckoning my trials and concerns of yesterday faded.
    Heading southward the trail meandered through luscious green farmlands with the inevitable hill or two and on towards the coastline. Oh how I’ve yearned for it! I’ve missed my routine of walking with the dawn and a daily dip in the ocean.
    Rising to the top of the hilly terrain we were greeted by views of the ocean that drew us onto Greens Pool and the rugged Denmark coast.
    Resting on the edge of William Bay National Park, Greens Pool is famous for its large granite boulders, green turquoise water and white sandy beach. Boulders surround the pool and protect it from the might of the Southern Ocean. And today it was resplendent in all its glory. Whilst the sun was shining there was a chill in the air and only the locals, some in wetsuits ventured in. Succumbing to its call we submerged to our knees and strolled along the beach.
    Meandering along the coastline offered numerous vantage points to survey the magnificent views.
    This region is renowned for its prevalence of snakes and we were not surprised to discover one or two slithering by.
    Weaving our way from the cliffs and along the paths through the dunes we came to Wilson Inlet and had the fortune to meet up with Mark who, on this his rest day, had come to swim and relax recounting his childhood memories.
    Together we ventured on to Denmark, lunched and took some me time. We’d meet up for dinner.
    Me time meant checking into the motel, washing clothes and going for a swim in the river. Oh so cleansing!
    Dinner was at the Boston Brewery -a couple of kilometres out of town. We chose to ride.
    After a wonderful days ride and knowing there was one last day I took time to pack and with a feeling of anxious anticipation I slept intermittently.
    Read more