Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Vienna, Austria

    September 13, 2015 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    6am wakeup call in Prague and checkout of our lovely hotel. We took the tram and metro to Praha hlavni station for our trip to Vienna. We had breakfast at the train station. In total, we spent 6524 Kc in Prague (not including hotel), which amounts to about $260 in 2.5 days.

    The train to Vienna was comfortable and approximately 4.5 hours long. We arrived a bit late at 1:20pm. We got some money from an ATM and took the metro from Vienna Hbf to Le Meridien on Opernring, part of the Ringstrasse. The location was very convenient and we got a upgraded room. After checking in and dropping off our luggage we stopped for lunch at a food stand. Myron got a donor durum and Sherilyn got pizza.

    Our first stop was a tour of the State Opera House (7.50euro each). Our tour was very informative and we had a fantastic guide. The stage is the largest in Europe and they have a different opera every night. The tour lasted about 40 minutes. Right around the corner we found Cafe Sacher where we stopped for coffee and dessert. I had a chocolate torte and Myron had apple strudel. We found this place to be hugely overpriced and overrated. Unfortunately we fell into this tourist trap!

    We walked around Old Town to St. Stephan's Cathedral and the Hard Rock Cafe. We bought a few souvenirs for people at home and just tried to soak in the atmosphere of Vienna. It was such a fun city...urban like Paris and New York but yet quieter and classier without a lot of high-rise buildings.

    Dinner was at Bettelstudent which was recommended by another travel blog. The food was tasty. I got pork medallions with mashed sweet potatoes and Myron got steak, french fries and steamed vegetables. We made our way back to Le Meridien to unpack and go to bed.
    Read more