Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Prague, Czech Republic

    September 12, 2015 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We woke up late and were out the door at 9:30 (yes...we like to wake up early on vacation to get more out of our time here!). We tried to go to Cafe Savoy but the line was too long for us to justify. We got a table at Cafe Lourve. I got the Czech breakfast (ham, boiled egg, sliced cheese) and Myron got scrambled eggs. It was tasty but nothing special. Prices were a little high and wow...does everyone in Europe smoke?!

    We walked to Naplavka Farmer's Market which only runs on Saturday down by the river. All of the vendors we stopped at spoke absolutely no English but it was fun and we ended up with a baguette, cheese, plums and koloaches (sweet danishes)...all for 104 kC, or about $5. From there we walked to Vysehrad Fortress which was very peaceful but didn't have much to do. We had a picnic lunch on a bench there.

    Walking back, we stopped for gelato at Pure. I'm not sure what flavors we got because they weren't in English but it was just OK. The tram ticket machine we stopped at was broken so we walked to a nearby metro and took that to Malastrava station. We walked around and saw many outdoor sculptures and browsed street art. The John Lennon wall was very cool. We saw some people out paddle boating which looked fun so we crossed the river to go do that. There were a few companies available and 1 hr rental was 200 Kc. We had so much fun! We even got "drive thru" beer service at a waterfront restaurant for 102 Kc (AKA expensive! but worth it). From there, we walked back to our hotel and stopped at Angelato for more gelato - SO much better than the previous place!

    We had dinner at Strahov Monastic Brewery. It was pricey but the food was awesome and it was cool to have dinner and beer that was made by monks. The beer was very tasty. We were back at the hotel around 8pm to pack.
    Read more