Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Paris, France

    June 5, 2012 in France ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    Versailles day! We woke up around 7AM and got a nice breakfast at Patisserie... , near the Vavin metro stop. Cafe, OJ and 2 elephant ears. Very good for 10 euro, would go back. We took the metro to Cite where we met our tour guide Christian, the founder of Bike About Tours.

    35 minute RER train ride to Versailles, we rode around the town and went to a market to pick up picnic suppose. Stowed them in our bike basket and went on our way. First we saw the massive gardens and fountain show, then made our way to the canal for a picnic. We had cheese, baguette, pate (game meat with apple calvados), fresh fruit, wine and fleur de sel caramels. All delicious. We bought too much cheese though. Tip: bring knife, corkscrew, blanket and bungee cord. Next up: Marie Antoinette village and farm, very picturesque and cozy. At this point, I was sore from all the riding.

    We rode to the main gate and went into the Chateau. It was very crowded and stuffy. Lovely frescoes on the ceiling, opulent gold leaf everywhere. Hall of mirrors has 137 mirror made by French who were taught by master Venetian glass blowers. Christian was very knowledgeable about history of Louis XIV to Louis XVI.

    Show was Oliver Girund, How to Become a Parisian in One hour. Funny and true! Dinner was at Chez Paul in 12e. Said with meat for entree (very tough steak) and tuna steak and polenta for Myron.

    Back to the hotel at 12AM.

    -Sherilyn
    Read more