Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    We're In Cape York

    May 12, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    On Friday we were going to leave Magnetic Island. We decided to go for a fish off the jetty before we left. When we were on the jetty I caught the first fish of the trip. A man walking past told me it was a Coral Cod. We got on the ferry and it took us back to Townsville. When we got off the ferry we set off for Cairns.
    We were going to meet some friends in Cairns who are called Henk and Mary and then do the cape with them. We stayed in Cairns until Sunday.
    Then on Sunday we went to Laura and stayed on a river bed there. At the bottom of the river was a little creek which we had swim in.
    On Monday night we stayed at Coen next to a river. At the river we put the opera net in. The next morning, Tuesday, when we pulled it up there were a fair few yabbies in it. When we counted them there were 20 yabbies plus 1 cherabin (fresh water prawn).
    On Tuesday night we celebrated getting to Weipa by having an entree of yabbies and cod then we had tacos for the main course.
    On Wednesday the boys went out fishing and brought us home some good fish for tea.
    On Thursday we went to Pennyfather Beach and did some fishing off there. We caught two blue salmon and an Eagle Ray.
    So far we have driven 4900 km averaging 1633 km a week.
    My favourite part of this week was when I caught the fish on Magnetic Island. We were just fishing off the jetty with bait and we decided to throw some berly in the water. We saw some little fish swimming around it and then suddenly I had a fish on. Just as I was landing it some locals came past and one of them said 'that's a good cod mate. It was also really fun when we pulled up the opera net and there was heaps of yabbies in it.
    By Ben Callaway
    Read more