Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    We Arrive in the Red Centre Way

    June 14, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    On Saturday we got up early to go to rainbow valley. We had breakfast there and a little singing honeyeater came and had it with us. We got some really good photos of him though.
    We went on a walk past a clay pit and there was lots of crack on it. I decided to walk out onto it thinking it would crack while I was on it.
    Then that afternoon we arrived at a free camp near Uluru and set up then went and watched the sunset over the rock.
    The next morning we got up early again to watch the sunrise over Uluru.
    We went on a tour which was interesting except the rock climb wasn't open that day so we didn't get to climb it.
    The next day we got up earl yet again. This time it was earlier than all the others because we had to drive a little further because we were seeing the sunrise over Kata Tjuta. We had pancakes for breakfast that morning and then we went on a walk to walpa gorge which it was really windy in there except the walk was good then we went on a walk called valley of the winds which wasn't really that windy except the views were amazing.
    On that walk we saw some zebra finches which were pretty. When we were walking back I started to get hungry so I asked what was for lunch and it turns out that we have some really nice spreads on our sandwiches to look forward to.
    Then that afternoon we went and rode some camels which was AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially getting on and off. Because camels are so tall they have to be on there knees while we get on and they stand up which is the fun bit.
    On Tuesday we got up and drove to a free camp near kings canyon the next day we drove to kings canyon and did the rim walk. We had to walk up a big staircase (there was about 250 stairs) before we got to the top then we started walking around the rim we came to like a shaded bit and had morning tea. Then we walked to the lost city and it was awesome there it looked like a city because it started off as big square bits of rock and then over time it has eroded down into domes that look like little houses. Then we walked to a lookout that looked down into the garden of Eden which we were going to have lunch in. So we walked down and there was a fair few stairs. When we got down there it was beautiful there was a nice waterhole (we weren't aloud to swim in it) and lots of rocks to sit on. We had spreads again. There was one sandwich left over so we gave it to a man who forgot his lunch he said “thank you I will really enjoy this” and it looked like he really enjoyed it. There was nothing else about the walk that was really that exciting so we went back to our campsite which is on the edge of a rocky slope which Erin and I had a really fun time exploring. We had a fire against the rock face and it was really cool views.
    On Thursday we set off for hermannsburg which is close to a place called Palm Valley. So we drove there and it's called palm valley because there is lots of cabbage palms. We went on a walk and we stopped at a little creek for a snack the creek wasn't very clean then we went back to our campsite for showers tea and a hot cocoa.
    On Friday we went to a lookout that showed us a crater and the aboriginal story is that 2 women were dancing and one had put her baby on the edge of the dance floor and the baby got knocked off. But the scientific story is that 142.5 million years ago a comet believed to be 600 metres wide hit earth making a crater 2km wide. That night we stayed at a place called 2 mile which is part of the Finke river.
    Read more