Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    UNDARA VOLCANIC PARK

    June 2, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 31 °C

    On Friday the 2nd of June we arrived in Undara Volcanic Park. We arrived quite early and set up. That day we went for a walk to Flat Rock and Circle View. At Circle View we climbed up on top of the rocks and could see for ages in every direction.
    That night we went to a fireside quiz.
    The next morning we got up considerably early to walk around Kalkani (cow-car-knee) Crater. It was very windy on top of the crater but very sheltered when we went down inside. There was lots of information boards explaining how craters form.
    It was about 1.8 km round the rim plus a bit extra to get to the rim.
    The Kalkani Crater is in the Undara Volcanic Park and is years old. Kalkani Crater was formed by a build up of pressure under the earth this cause an explosion . The explosion causes molten and solid rock to be pushed up to the surface and pile on top of each other. This creates the walls of the crater.
    There are multiple different types of volcanoes. Two examples are a Shield Explosion and a Explosion. A Shield Explosion is when the lava just oozes out causing a flatter and slower explosion, unlike Kalkani which was an Explosion.
    Volcanic rocks found in the area include Massive Pink Granite and Basalt.

    After Kalkani we went on a Lava Tube tour, our guide was Wes. Wes told us all about the founder of the tours and how they discovered the Lava Tubes. The tour went into the Lava Tubes. In the Lava Tubes we saw a Southern Boobook Owl. Wes stopped a fair bit to tell us about some different things. The tour itself was very interesting.
    That afternoon we drove to Routh Creek.
    Read more