Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    COBBOLD GORGE

    June 3, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 31 °C

    At Routh Creek we stayed 1 night. We shared a fire with some nice people on the creek. It was very peaceful there. There were lots of bugs running on the surface of the water. The next day we drove to Cobbold Gorge, it was a very uneventful drive.
    We arrived early again which is a change to what we have been doing lately. At Cobbold we got our campsite, set up and went on our tour.
    The tour was amazing. The first part of the tour was the drive to Robinson River. At Robinson River we got off the bus and for a brief moment stepped out into the hot air then quickly changed bus. The bus we changed to was the original bus that Simon, the original owner for the property, drove when he started the tours. We changed bus to cross the river. After we crossed the river, it was only ankle deep, we stoped at a shelter. The shelter indicated the start of the walk.
    The first part of the walk was a board walk, we saw two freshwater crocodiles. At the end of the board walk we saw the "jetty" where we would later board the boat.
    We continued on past the "jetty" and started up a hill, stopping occasionally to receive some information mainly about bush tucker. After a bit of flat, smooth track we started to walk up the sandstone formations that covered a good chunk of the property.
    On top of the sandstone we could see for miles around (most of it covered in sandstone) and we could also see the gorge.
    On the way back down to the boats we took the same path, we didn't really stop at all. When we boarded the boat it was in the "mouth" of the gorge (just the start of the gorge that's wide.) After the first wide section the gorge got skinnier quite quickly.
    The boat had a motor but you could hardly hear it, it was an electric motor.
    Going up this skinny winding tunnel like passage was amazing.
    The walls of the gorge went up for about 100 meters and looked like waves had washed up against them for thousands of years.
    The further we got into the gorge the quieter it got until there was no bird or animal life. The reason for that is because one we were getting further away from the plant life and two because there is no plant life or anything to sustain them in the actual gorge.
    We got too the end "turned" (there is a motor at each end so our guide just changed ends) around and came back.
    The old bus was waiting for us at the shelter so we hopped on, crossed the river and changed bus. Now seeing as there was two tours going at the same time and only one bus that crosses the river, our guide had to drive the bus back over for the other group. When they returned to cross the river they got stuck in the middle. Everyone had to get out and wade across the river. Then when everyone was across we got back on the new buses we went back to the campsite. The guides had to go back with tractor to get the bus out.
    We had a nice tea then left early the next morning.
    Read more