Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Tete Batu Day 2

    January 15, 2020 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Banana pancakes for breakfast and spent the morning chilling in the camp. At about 12.30 Anah came back from school and she had been home and cooked us lunch first (just to remind you, she’s 11) so we ate that and then she said she would take us to see the rice fields. It was me, the Dutch girl Charlotte and two Danish guys, Marcus and Simon.

    We left the camp about 2 and walked for about 30 minutes and it started raining so Anah said she would take us to her house so we headed there. Her mother and her got us all a tea or coffee and some red bananas which were delicious and we watched her fish for a while and she played a game of chess with Marcus.

    It stopped raining so we carried on to the rice fields and the clouds cleared so we could see Mt Rinjani properly for the first time which was pretty epic. It’s the second highest volcano in Indonesia (I think) and you can climb it- though not to the top since the earthquake in 2018.

    We walked for quite a while and eventually ended up back by the waterfall we went to yesterday so headed home. Anah was an amazing guide (we would have got so lost without her) and showed us all the fruits on the trees (bananas, jackfruit, avocado etc).

    We got back to camp and showered, watched a beautiful sunset- I watched it with the puppies that have just been born on the land next door- SO cute. We had dinner and then Sam decided we needed to get some rice wine (alcohol is illegal in this part of Lombok as it’s Muslim) so we went off on scooters (I went on the back of his) to his ‘grandmothers’ (not really his grandmother but just a local older lady who homebrews!) and got some! Was really interesting to see her home and the ones nearby, they are very basic but everyone is super nice and smiles and says hello.

    Got the wine and came back to camp to have some music and drinks and went to bed a little later than usual! Really great day, really felt like we got to see some of the local side of Lombok.
    Read more