Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Koh Tao day 1

    February 29, 2020 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Back to the dive shop for 10am this morning to meet my instructor Chris (a very chilled out Aussie) and go through the knowledge reviews- basically discuss what I’d read last night. Lucky again as it’s just me so get a private course!

    The advanced dives I’m doing are:

    - navigation (mandatory and the one I’m least looking forward to!)
    - peak performance buoyancy
    - night
    - deep (also mandatory)
    - wreck

    That took about 45 mins and we practiced some compass skills on land ( before doing them in the water which is much much harder!) and then got the kit sorted. The boat left about 12.30 so had some lunch and then we went out to do ppb and navigation. It’s really annoying because this is high season for koh Tao so the conditions should be perfect with 20-30m visibility but it’s been awful for the last month with 3-5m. Just my luck! But it doesn’t matter so much for the course because you are focussing on the skills etc but it would have been nice to see stuff too!

    Back about 4.30 but the night dive is tonight so a quick snack and then back on the boat at 6. You go out around sunset so it’s super pretty - got in the water about 7 when it was mostly dark and out at 7.40 when it was pitch black! Super cool but the visibility was terrible so mainly just tried to keep close to Chris!

    Got back and had to do more reading before 6am tomorrow (we are going on the early boat) so straight back to the hostel for study, dessert and an early night!
    Read more