Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Non-stop

    October 7, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 41 °F

    As we continue our trip along the S of Iceland working our way East it’s been non stop. Each location is anywhere from 15-45 mins of each other. And in between that. You see little cool things you want to stop at too. This makes for a long day. So long that by the time we get to our camp sight we just pass out. Waking up at sunrise and getting to camp after dark as been fun. Let’s continue where we left off. Day two we saw like a million waterfalls each bigger and taller then the last. So much to the point that we skipped a couple as we kept driving. We also took at hike up to a pool in the middle of nowhere. So quite and peaceful. You don’t hear cars, planes, people, animals, or wind. Just silence. However after a short period of time. Some other tourists found the same spot, so we left. It’s kind of funny. Each location we get to were by ourselves, but when we’re about ready to go. Not one or two groups show up. But 3-5 groups. It’s like they are following us.
    Another stop we wanted to make was a plane crash on a black sand beach. But it was getting dark and we were already tired from hiking up 500 steps on one hike to the top of a waterfall and the hike up to the lonesome pool. So we were debating weather the 2-3 hour round trip to the airplane was worth it. Especially because we would arrive back at our car after dark. So, we pumped ourselves up and decided to go for it. As we started our hike and nice man driving a huge 4x4 offered to bring us (well, Chelsea asked). He was already going that way as he was ending his day. He had just started the truck and so, we hopped on. He does this for hire so we’re not special. But what is special is that he gave it to us for 50% off. We heard from others paying twice what we paid together, so we kept our mouths shut. We explored the plane crash and walked back to the car. Then it was time to head to the campsite (you can’t sleep in a camper-van anywhere. You need to be in a campsite or you get a fine). The family who owned site had great reviews. Their website said they close at 10:00pm so we arrived at 9:02 and couldn’t find anyone. The gate was locked as well. We went to a restaurant nearby and they happened to by related to the campsite owners. They called them and told them the situation. After arguing with the owner (who lives across the street) who was unwilling to come back and let us in. The relatives told us to sleep outside the gate and walk in for showers, kitchen, bathrooms, and whatever else we wanted to use. So, this is what we did. Then before they opened in the morning we were gone. We didn’t want to support $$ to this guy who said they close at 10:00 when they really close at 9:00. He was mad at me for not showing up on time. I told him I did and he argued that I was wrong. Anyway. The next morning his website had been edited! Chelsea took a screen shot of the before and after. Funny.
    The next day was full of activities. But that’s for another post.
    Read more