Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Day 27: Cabra to Doña Mencía

    May 31, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Day 27, from Cabra to Doña Mencía, 16.7km.
    Cabra is famous for its huertas, and as we leave the town, we pass through them.
    We get back onto the Camino Mozárabe at Cabra's old railway station. It is now an interpretation centre for the Tren del Aceite, and features a steam locomotive, the Mikado.
    The Camino follows the Vía Verde as far as Doña Mencía. Along the way, we were treated to beautiful scenery, bridges, viaducts and even a tunnel.
    On arrival at Doña Mencía, we drop our bags at the hotel and continue on to the centre.
    Before reaching the Ayuntamiento, there is a small square honouring the Camino Mozárabe.
    Luckily, the tourist office is open, and Marga takes us on a tour of the castle. Built in the 15th century by Diego Fernández de Córdoba, it is the reason for the town's existence. Diego Fernández de Córdoba brought twenty families from Baena to work the land around the castle. Marga also suggested that we visit the calle Juanita la Larga, a street full of flowers.
    The highlight of the day was when our friend Antonio came to pick us up, to show us his olive grove and his village, Zuheros. A short visit, but so interesting!
    Read more