Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Can Tho

    April 13 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 36 °C

    Dragged myself out of bed this morning at 5.15am for an early startinh tour. We got picked up outside the hostel and whisked away into town, down by the river. Four of us hopped into a small boat along with our tour guide, and the boat driver and adorned lovely fluorescent orange life jackets. We drove along the river (one in the Meekong delta) with the sun rising behind us, first stopping at the famous wholesale floating markets.
    The main bridge across the city was only built in the early 2000's, meaning parts of the city weren't very accessible. Therefore markets took place on tethered boats in the middle of the river, and boats from either side of the shore could come to shop.
    The market boats had tall bamboo poles at the front with produce hung from the top of them to advertise what they were selling, be in pineapples, onions or potatoes (was mainly fruit & veg). There was also a music boat, and small boats selling food and coffee. We pulled up to one boat, the lady attached a hook onto ours. Next thing we know, she started cooking eggs on a small gas stove in the boat and handing over egg Banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) for breakfast. We also got coffee from another, and climbed onto a slightly larger boat, and sat and had tea and fresh fruit aboard.
    We then got taken further down the river to a noodle shop where we were shown how traditional noodles were made and got to have a go ourselves.
    Next a small diversion off the main river took us to a small canal surrounded by greenery. We drove past a fruit farm where our guide hopped off and bought a fresh pink dragon fruit for us to try. And then the engine got switched off and we gave rowing the boat a go for ourselves. I was not a natural, and caused the slowest, most anticlimactic boat crash of all time into some river weeds. Our driver was giggling with glee at our poor driving. We eventually gave up, and he then drove us to a Cocoa farm where we were given a demonstration on how chocolate is made by hand, as well as a sample and some cold chocolate milk.
    It was an hour boat ride back to the dock, and the only downside of the whole trip was the amount of rubbish in the river, was sad to see :( and so many missing shoes!
    We were dropped back off at the hostel at midday, had a nap then headed into town to explore. There wasn't a load to see in the city, we grabbed some food, coffee and had a wander. Then back at the hostel I tried to improve my pool game with some success.
    Read more