Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    First day in Budapest

    October 16, 2019 in Hungary ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    After 10 hours of buses, we arrived in Budapest yesterday evening. We slept in a bit this morning and had breakfast. We walked a few km to Hero's Square. It's a monument for the 1000th anniversary of Hungary. It has statues of horses, the archangel Gabriel and Athena.

    From there, we could see a castle. Near the castle, there was someone selling giant pretzels and we bought some to go.

    We walked to St. Stephens basilica which is from 1905. There’s lots of stained glass and sculptures inside. It was really pretty and you could tell that the catholic church had a lot of money.

    Then, we walked to a grocery store to buy lunch. We also found some stroopwafels, a dutch dessert. Stroopwafels are a small crunchy waffle with a caramely filling in the middle. They were first invented in the town of Gouda. We ate lunch in front of the parliament buildings. They were copied off the british parliament buildings. They’re really big and beautiful and have statues and flowers in front.

    Then, we walked along the Danube river. There were lots of statues along it of famous artists and important people. We also saw some World War II monuments, my mom is going to write a blog post about those later.

    For the whole day, I had been wishing for rain, and when we were heading home it started raining. Even though it isn’t as hot as Croatia, it was still kind of hot for part of the day. We walked in the rain for a bit and then found a coffee shop. It was a smoke free, book coffee shop. We read there for a bit and had some drinks, then we went home.

    For dinner, we tried some pickled beets and pickled cabbage. Both of them were okayish, but my parents liked them. Tomorrow we’re going to try Hungarian goulash and we’re also going to try chimney cakes.

    Sophie
    Read more