Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    The final weekend

    March 22 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Another amazing sunrise greeted us this morning, before it gave way to blue sky and some very cool cloud formations. Today was the unfortunate day that we had to return to Auckland properly. We motored for about 3 hours to get back to Westhaven where we would meet with Mike, Cass and Jamie.

    Once we berthed in Westhaven (after trying to berth on the wrong spot) Nathan quickly popped over to Burnsco to get a new furling line for the big genoa and some fishing supplies, while Vela was left on board to start filling the water tanks with new, drinkable fresh water.

    The team arrived and we quickly stowed everything away on board and escaped Auckland as quickly as we could. We pulled out both the mainsail and the big genoa and cruised back out to Waiheke. Although conditions were flat, we hit one big wake awkwardly and managed to get a waterfall down the front hatch and all over Nathan and Vela's bed. Fortunately it was mostly on Nathan's side...

    We parked back up in Awaawaroa Bay (a couple of obligatory hazies were consumed along the way) and Vela made another round of her delicious snapper sashimi don bowls, as well as steaming the Gurnard we caught the other day. Jamie hooked into something which absolutely took off, screaming from side to side before eventually busting off. Again we didn't get a good look at it but best bet is a stingray.

    We chilled out and watched a movie downstairs before bed.
    Read more