Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Fort Stockton, TX - Fort Stockton RV Pk

    April 5, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Finally reached the "real" West, flat sandy land covered with cactus and scrub trees; and of course more beautiful wildflowers.

    Our first night in Fort Stockton was an exciting one. Nature provided us with an impressive light and sound show. Everyone needs to experience a thunderstorm where lightning can be seen from horizon to horizon. The roar of thunder was attention getting.

    Fort Stockton is the local "big" city for many miles around with a whopping population of 8,400. The populace is 71% Hispanic/Latino which creates many opportunities for a Mexican dinner. An authentic Mexican meal gets us to the dinner table every time. As its name denotes, Fort Stockton had its beginning as an army fort in the 1800's. Once the West was tamed and the army departed, the area assumed its modern identity. Irrigated agricultural, cattle and sheep ranching supported the economy. In later years the petroleum industry added it's economic support. Sure sounds like how much of the West grew.

    And Fort Stockton's claim to fame, it is home to one of Texas's largest ranches. The Lake Escalera Ranch consists of 257,000 acres, 223,000 of which are contiguous. Some people collect stamps, and some collect land.

    Made several new furry friends here at the Fort Stockton RV Park. They work at the campground in the rodent control department.
    Read more