Satellite
  • Day 104

    Gallup, New Mexico - USA RV Park

    May 28, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We're gathering travel momentum heading homeward. Gallup, NM, "The Heart Of Indian Country", is a halfway stop between Flagstaff, AZ and Albuquerque, NM. While we've been here before, this stop has a specific purpose. The trip's Navigation Goddess needs some retail therapy in the form of a authentic Native American jewelry purchase. The Zuni Pueblo borders Gallup and is a target rich shopping environment.

    Gallup, NM is another town founded with the arrival of the railroad, and it's still here with a very large railyard. Trains are tooting pass the campground regularly. Famous Route 66 still passes directly through Gallup. The railroad and highway brought commerce and travelers leading to 20th century prosperity. Mid century brought Hollywood and the filming of many western movies. Unfortunately, the Hollywood notoriety faded and was replaced by a rise in crime . In 2014 Gallup had the highest violent crime rate in the state of New Mexico. ThIs problem has been compounded with the county being the poorest in the state.

    The town borders the Navajo, Hopi, and Zuni tribal nations. As a result a substantial portion of Gallup's population is Native Amierican. Unfortunately, Native American poverty, violence, alcoholism, homelessness, and unnatural deaths have added to area's problems. The extent of these problems is not readily apparent to the the casual visitor. On the plus side, Gallup appears to be a growing town showing signs of meeting its challenges.

    As for our retail therapy adventure, seeking Native American jewelry, we were not successful. The availability of items depends on what the artists make, so finding what you want is hit and miss. However, all was not lost. We had a great lunch at the Village Bistro. Despite its somewhat modern name, the restauriant is Native American owned by a Zuni tribe member and features traditional Zuni dishes. The Green Chile Stew was excellent, and yes it was very spicy.
    Read more