Satellite
  • Day 4

    If I only had a fridge...

    August 27, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    A long day today. I'm writing this in a little Korean restaurant as I know I will be too tired when I get back to the hotel.

    I had a river cruise included in my Hop on Hop off tour and so made my way to the London Eye Pier. I had to walk past the London eye, saw the queues, thought "no way" then saw the fast track and thought "why not".
    The views were great. The pod/capsule wasn't crowded but I am glad I didn't wait for half an hour or more.

    From there I took the river cruise down to London Bridge. The cruise was lovely, if a bit short. The guide had a great sense of humour and on his recommendation I decided to give the Tate Modern a miss (half a cow wrapped in plastic, a pile of bricks arranged to look like...bricks). I hadn't actually planned to go anyway.

    Next was the Borough Markets. Like tbe Queen Victoria markets but so much better.
    There was raw cheeses, raw milk being sold as raw milk, cheese direct from the maker. There were butchers selling any British meat and all the game you can think of. Olives, truffles, breads, fruit and so much more.
    I could have bought so much, if I only had a fridge to store it in. I had to be content with lunch of an icecream, game burger and fruit juice as well as looking forward to Paris where I have an apartment.
    From the markets I went to Shakespeare's Globe theatre but disappointingly there was a performance on and so I couldn't go inside.

    I got lots of advice before I started my trip (which I welcomed). One piece I wish I had followed, the other I'm glad I ignored.
    Someone told me not to worry about packing too many clothes as I could just buy stuff over here. I do 90% of my shopping at one store so wasn't confident I'd find much here, and it would be too hard to find anything.
    Oxford st has everything. I did a (little) bit of shoping in Evans and could have bought more but I just bought a short sleeved top.

    Someone else told me not to bother with the underground as it was hot, dirty and difficult but I found the short trip quick and easy.

    A trip to Selfridges completed my day, except for the aforementioned Korean restaurant which was very nice. I found it be simply decided to walk down the street and turning into a sidestreet.

    Photos
    Butcher at the markets
    View from London eye
    Tower bridge
    Salami
    Oils
    Underground
    Read more