Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Knish & Cannoli

    July 12, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Cultural history and food tour!
    Got to experience Little Italy, Chinatown, Noho, Nolita and the Bowry.

    Had my first proper Cannoli, ate a strange Chinese fruit, tasted a Knish and had to try an American Diner of course. Crispy Chicken served on waffles and maple syrup. Karl had a triple decker sandwich. OMG portions were huge!! Same goes for street food ... struggled to finish! Also got to see Katz's Diner where Meg Ryan did THAT scene in When Harry met Sally... queues way out the door!

    But the BEST was eating a hotdog from the hotdog stand outside the main Courthouse! Ever since watching and loving the series Suits, I knew this was something I just had to experience and it didn't disappoint. Just for you Harvey Specter 🙌

    Then on to the following Burroughs. Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx. Queens is the only landlocked burrough in NY hence its space. Popped in to see Flushing Meadows and the Unisphere. And of course Yankee Stadium where Babe Ruth is immortalized on the stadium walls.

    By far the most exciting burrough is The Bronx. Big difference between the North and the South. On the one end, crime, gangsterism, bullet holes, mom and pop shops (had THEE best empanada at a convenience store) .. and on the other, a gorgeous area thats trendy, arty and full of young professionals and entrepreneurs.

    It's also the birthplace of hip hop and breakdancing and the first recording of Salsa dancing. The streets are adorned with wall art by the famous Tats cru.

    Also found the set of stairs where the famous dance was done by the JOKER (Joaquin Phoenix) in 2019. Karl ran up all 142 stairs!! #madness

    2/3rds are Latinos and 1/3 are African American. But there's another community that gets overlook,the Hasidic Jews, the 2nd largest group are here outside of Israel.
    Walking around here was like being in a time warp. No electronic stores, only allowed to use flip phones, they have their own school and a distict dress code for both men and women and reminded me of the Handmade's Tale!

    Outstanding walk across the Brooklyn Bridge!
    Oh and Karl and I tried Amazon Go. Now that was freaky. Walked in, took something off the shelf and walked straight out. No till, no people yet it knew exactly what you had in your hand and charges accordingly!
    Interesting times !
    Read more