Satellite
  • Day 12

    Trastevere, Italy

    May 29, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Monday, May 29, 2017 - 3:30pm - Trastevere Twilight Foodie Tour

    Met Francesco for a 4 hour guided tour on Isola Tiberina. What a great guide. His wife Rachel is from Ashville NC. We enjoyed the tour with a couple from Indiana with their 2 daughters. We had an aperitif at Da Enzo AL 29, Prosecco with fresh cantaloupe and prosciutto with fresh mozzarella . We also sampled pizza, fried rice balls (suppli), "sample" of pasta (cacao e pepe) as they called it but it to us was a full meal., gelato, peccorino cheese, salami and the most awesome assortment of cookies you can imagime. And of course we drank plenty of different wines .... we lost count.
    All of the stops on the tour (8) were family owned and had been in a family for generations. The highlight of the tour was enjoying wine and a pork stew in a cellar of a church that was built 80 years BC. Yes BC the oldest building we have ever been in. An interesting fact of the cellar was that in the 1800's when excavating after so many years of being underground, a famous statue was discovered that had been stolen and hidden from the Romans.

    Trastevere is a neighborhood like no other. Its ivy-coated, cobblestone streets come alive at night earning it comparisons to Greenwich Village and Paris’s Left Bank. It’s where Romans choose to eat with their families on a Sunday and where young Romans go for buzzing nightlife at evenings and weekends. You can’t leave Rome without walking through these streets, tasting the best food on offer, and taking a million pictures of this amazing hotspot.
    Read more