Satellite
  • Day 7

    One Love, Santa Marta

    January 21, 2020 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Today (yesterday) the main thing we did was tubing down the river. To get to the top we hiked up a mountain for 2 hrs, it was meant to be 1 1/2 hours but my mum was very slow 😆.

    The guides, Ronaldo and Christian told us about all the different traditions of the Kogi Tribe ( Ronaldo is half Kogi ) Ronaldo showed us his Poporo, which my dad called a “memory stick” and they use it like a diary and they put their thoughts and memories. Nobody is allowed to touch it except them and the Shaman (like a guru/ spiritual leader). Only men are allowed poporos, which is given to them when they are about 15 years old. When they get the Poporo, they have to stay in a dark cave for 3 days and nights without food or water. The men chew Coca leaves (which is what cocaine is made from) because they believe it connects them to nature. Our guide told us that if a man commits a crime, the Shaman can touch his poporo and see a replay of the man’s thoughts and actions, almost like a video. The hike up to the river was so hot I almost fainted😂!!

    When we reached the river, we got in our tubes and went down and the guides pointed out all the different animals and tribes. It felt relaxing and it was so fun, especially the rapids!! The water was so colddd!!
    Read more