Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Marree

    June 30, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Headed to Marree this morning. No wind to speak of, so the driving was easy. We took a spin round Leigh Creek township. It felt really weird. No people to be seen. A few cars in driveways, but we were the only people on the road. Empty Foodland, post office, Police Station. Just a ghost town. Pretty sad really.
    Next stop was Farina, to sample the pies from the underground bakery. Farina is a town that saw it's last inhabitant in the 1960s. However it is being renovated by volunteers from the caravan and camping association. They have the old bakery up and running again and during June and July they produce fresh bread, pies, and pastries to help raise money. They are always on the lookout for volunteers to help with the building work.
    In Marree we parked in the Hotel carpark, and booked our flight over Lake Eyre. We have to wait two days to do it but hopefully we won't be disappointed. $550 each for a two hour flight. The car park is free with just a gold coin donation for the use of a shower and toilet. By evening there was very little room left in the carpark, and the Hotel was buzzing!
    Read more