Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Lake Eyre South

    July 1, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We are still both suffering from sore throats and dry irritating coughs. It was a slow start this morning, with cough meds, panadol, throat spray and nasonex on the menu. Still, after a chat with Geraldine, (a 'grey nomad' who ,along with her husband, have volunteered to work at the pub for 5 months), she suggested we stay for the camel races over the weekend. We had planned to stay until Wednesday anyway, so staying until Saturday doesn't seem too outrageous. The pub seems much busier today, with a lot of caravans coming and going. We headed off along the dirt road to Lake Eyre north after lunch. The first 50km was a great road, better than some tarmac ones, but when the road forked - one heading off to Muloorina Station, the other to lake Eyre South. It was a different kettle of fish! Very corrugated and rutted for another 50km! When we came to the end of the road, a few other cars were present. We walked over the Dunes to see vast areas of what appeared to be mud flats!!! Pretty disappointing!!
    We called into the pub for a glass on return, and bought a bottle of Red...a very amusing red called Camel Riders Red. The label in particular was worth the cost!
    Read more