Satellite
  • Day 38

    Plunge pools and water holes

    August 3, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We had arranged to meet Silvia and Walter at Wangi cafe at 11am. Walter was very excited about the beauty of the falls and the large plunge pool. Kingfishers darted among the ever increasing number of swimmers...most with noodles under their arms. We walked to the lookout and around the top, completing the loop. Lunch was a Greek salad, then off to search for Walters falls
    Walter had been here 19 years ago, and was keen to visit a particular place from his memory...with cascading water and pools to relax in. He hoped the next falls was it....but there was no access to the water from here, so he was disappointed again.
    We got talking to a group of tipsy Australians. Trying to guess which country we were all from. They had been to Switzerland for lunch once...off the same ferry Ian and I had been on from the lakes in Italy so they had seen Switzerland. Walker was from Switzerland!
    Our last place was very close to Florence falls, called Buley Rockhole.
    We rounded a corner, and Eureka! Walter's memory came alive again. This was the place, and it topped every other falls by a mile! We spent a couple of hours just lazing in the pool.
    Silvia asked us back for tea. We had hamburgers with fried potatoes and salad. We both loved it!
    I have been bitten so badly by mosquitoes over the past two days, and cover myself up in heavy trousers, boots and jumpers at dusk. It was a good excuse to leave. We drove home by the orange glow of another magnificent sunset.
    Read more