Satellite
  • Day 51

    Stairway to the moon

    August 16, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Arrived at Karratha...dont feel like it was a year ago that I was here last. The town itself is modern and very well maintained. Green grass, and modern housing.
    We stayed in the Shell Petrol station, about 12km outside Karratha, which had free toilets, and a hot shower. When we arrived, we were the only ones + a backpacker car. They provide this massive carpark for the truckies to rest overnight, but have included an area designated for Caravans, Boats and Trailers. We unhitched, left the van parked, and headed into town.
    We bought a couple of wine glasses in Target, (to replace the one that I had broken), and stocked up on wine.
    Then we went to see Steve, who was our neighbour for a month, in the CP last year.
    He had a new friend staying, 'Y' from NZ, who had arrived in Karratha just after we left. She was a cleaner for the mines, but had had seven jobs in the 10 months since she arrived.
    Still it was good to see Steve again.
    Then we travelled to Hearsons Cove to witness Stairway to the Moon. Truly beautiful. We were very lucky, as we arrived to a packed beach, but drove into a spot which must have just been vacated. Perfect!
    When we returned to the Shell Station, we had 2 caravans as neighbours. Safety in numbers.
    It was the first night since katherine, that it was too cold to sit outside.
    Read more