Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Rocky Road to Richmond

    July 17, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    It was a beautiful morning with not a cloud in the sky. We were initially heading for a free camp in Marathon. We stopped in Hughenden for diesel, and Ian remembered (later!) that he had overheard someone talk of the state of the next stretch of road. Oh my goodness! I thought we were going to be airborne - several times. I associate that drive with hanging on to the door handle for dear life, while listening to the 'Persimmon Tree'' by Bryce Courtney. Why did I ever think that he was a good writer!
    Marathon turned out to be little more than a toilet stop on the side of a busy road. We unanimously agreed to pass this camp by, and headed on to a free camp in Richmond. A great place, - but no toilets. We went to the pub for a beer, and Frankie was allowed in - he causes comment so often whereever we go! He is such a pretty boy. The barman summoned me over to see his 6 dogs, which were kept out back. 4 terriers, an Alsation, and another big one who didn't come near. We had a beer, a bit of craic, and headed home for tea. The night sky was clear, and stars were bright and just perfect. Richmon is known for its Dinausaur finds...the Tourist information centre is on the corner of Kronosaurus Korner. They also have a lovely unattended historical building. Appart from the many interesting items within the building - many of which were aboriginal, there was a fantastic restored mail coach down in the back shed. It seated eight people - and must have been dreadfully uncomfortable.
    Read more