Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 31

    Richmond steaks from the farm

    18 luglio 2022, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Before we left Richmond, we had to go to the great Butchers in town. They ran their own sheep farm, and had cut the distance between farm and plate, by selling their own sheep, and local beef. We bought a couple of steaks, which were absolutely enormous. These would be our tea tonight. The roads didn't improve any, and nor did Bryce Courtney! We were going to stay in Julia Creek CP, but they were full. I was disapointed, as they had hot tubs, filled with Artisian water. They charged an extra $32, which I would have resented, however, I didn't need to worry about that now. Instead the Caravan Park suggested we go to a free camp by the river just on the edge of town. What a find! It was huge, and by evening, there was an entire town of Caravans staying. The caravan next door to us, had a cat and dog both on leads!
    Frankie was demented by the flies - spending his time trying to catch them. There were a lot of flies around. His head would fling from right to left - side to side. His only relief was found under the van, out of the sun, and fewer flies. There was a resident cockral, chichen and large fancy duck strutting around the camp. They had no shame, and strutted around the camp, begging for food. We out to town, and had lunch, (they had run out of pies by the time we got there). Meatballs and ragu for dinner....Steaks for tomorrow. Too many flies here to cook on the BBQ. Frankie was very tired, and I put him into the van to sleep. I could hear fim paddling about. When I opened the caravan door - he flew out light a whippet!! Scary for him and for us. This was a camp he was unfamiliar with, and it was very dark - no street lights and also a lot of water around. Fortunately I think he frightened himself, and ran straight to Ian. Disaster avoided.
    We appear (unwittingly) to be following the route taken by Burke and Wills, as they searched for Carpenteria. In the town of Julia Creek a plaque mentioned them and their fateful journey. (see addit)
    Leggi altro