Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    The fine art of Thai massage

    June 28, 2019 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Inspired by positive recounts from friends, we decided to follow an introductory class of Thai massage.

    Funded around 2 500 years ago, some say by Buddhist monks, Thai massage actually originates from India. It is sometimes called "assisted yoga" (or "the lazy man's yoga" !) and can be a bit surprising when received for the first time. One feels like being pushed, stretched and compressed (or even crushed !) in every direction, sometimes quite harshly and... as a result, painfully. It is not the style of massage that will only relax you... The stretching movements and pressure points rather aim at letting the energy flow in every part of your body and organs, so that they function at their best.

    Our teacher, Mac, was great. Very patient too. For as a mother-daughter duo, we might not have been the best students ever ! We were gossiping and squabbling in French ("you are not "gentle" enough","you're not doing the right move", etc.), frequently laughing at our clumsiness and sometimes, my mother would be so relaxed that she would just... doze off.

    In Mac's school, there is indeed a quietness and peacefulness that makes you feel like in a temple. If Thai massage has strong ties with yoga, it also resembles a meditative practice. We pray before starting, first to thank the teacher, then to ask for permission to touch the person. Key principles are deep respect for the other person's body as well as a genuine intention to offer some of your own time and energy for him/ her. Isn't it nice?

    In between classes, we enjoyed our free time in our accommodation, the aptly named "Enchanted Garden" : swimming pool and nice company with our hosts and some travelers/ expats. We also pursued our discovery of thai food in a tiny and delicious round-the-corner restaurant (where you often get something else than what you ordered !). Overall, we spent an enriching and relaxing week.

    I had the chance to return to Mac's school a week later, to celebrate its 20th birthday, with the blessings of several monks. A moving ceremony.

    About Thai massage (Asokananda's style) : https://www.asokananda.com/
    About Mac's school near Chiang Mai : http://www.art-of-thai-massage.com/
    Read more