Satellite
  • Day 256

    Morning croquet, castle & onsen (Matsue)

    November 21, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Some days are busier than others (with activities other than cycling I mean !). The day started with an odd encounter in a park with the elderly : I camp and have my breakfast here, while they come to play croquet very early in the morning. We look at one another a bit puzzled but they are nice and polite and wish me a pleasant trip (Iterashaï, Ganbatte !).
    Then I visit a castle in Matsue. Or to be honest I cycle to the castle then feel lazy and just satisfy myself looking at it from the park, bathing in the sun (at last, a decent weather !). I also go to a nice restaurant in the castle premises. It changes from my own very basic cooking.
    Afterwards, I close up the afternoon with a visit at the thermal district of Tamutsukuri. There, like in the onsen-village of Yunomine in the Kumano Kodo, you can dip your feet in the city's main river, while seating on little benches. I combine this with a proper onsen visit, in a vast round-shaped modern building (architect : Shin Takamatsu). Some basins are even located outside, on a terrace between two aisles of the building. The effects of this bath with other naked ladies are intense well-being and physical and mental rejuvenation ! I get back on my bicycle all rested, singing and whistling. I must also "look" nice and clean, for everyone smiles back at me ! This onsen visit for 500 yen (less than 5€) will allow me to hold on a few more camping nights outside...

    I did not take any pictures so if you want to see what Tamatsukuri looks like : www.japan.travel/en/spot/931/
    And some of Shin Takamatsu's projects : www.takamatsu.co.jp/projects/projects.php
    Read more