Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Rabe de las Calzadas to Hontanas 18km 5.

    September 25, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Today we entered the part of the Camino called The Meseta. It is a long flat area of farmland, Corn, wheat and sunflower fields for as far as the eye can see. There are few shadows and the sun was scorching hot 🥵. This is the type of terrain that we have imagined the Camino would be like before we began. We find this section so beautiful and serene. They say the first part of the Camino is the physical challenge…and it surely was. The Meseta is now the mental challenge. We found the crowds have thinned as many people choose to skip this part, But for those that continue it is a time for reflection and soul searching. We think we are up for the mental challenge of The Meseta, as long as our bodies are.
    Ann is still walking in sandals, thank goodness for the flat terrain.
    We are staying in a modern albergue (although still in a very old building) that has a spa attached. Our fanciest one yet, but we still have to share a large room with about 25 others. At least the beds are comfortable and well spaced out.
    Had a lovely dinner tonight with people from Columbia and Germany.
    Read more