Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 3

    Day 2

    22. huhtikuuta 2023, Islanti ⋅ ☁️ 1 °C

    After a much needed rest we got on the road around 10am and headed to the trailhead of Reykjadalur (hot springs river). After 3km mainly uphill we found the area of the river that is warm/hot. They built wooden platforms with little change areas for visitors to soak in this section of the river!

    Once we felt refreshed we hiked out and headed to Thingvellir National Park - hiking to Öxaràrfoss and seeing where they filmed the “Bloody Gate” in Game of Thrones. Throughout the walk, signs explained that this area was established around 930 as a place of parliament and Icelanders continued convening here until the late 1700s. After the book of law was made in 1281, this area served as a place for corporal punishment.

    While up in the region known as the Golden Circle we made our way to the Geysir Geothermal area to see the “Great Geysir” and to Gullfoss. Gullfoss is one of Icelands most iconic waterfalls and for good reason! Water from a nearby glacier cascades down 32 meters in 2 stages and falls within a canyon.

    We left here a bit later than originally anticipated but sun doesn’t set here until after 9pm so we had enough time to sneak in (and behind) one last waterfall before pulling into our campground in Skógar.

    As we enjoy a late dinner we can see a waterfall right at our campground. The first thing to explore with a coffee in hand tomorrow morning!
    Lue lisää