Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 4

    Day 3

    23. huhtikuuta 2023, Islanti ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    What a wet day today was! Thank god for heat in the van to dry our wet clothes and also keep us warm for the snow we might get overnight!

    Started the day with great views of Skogafoss at the far end of our campsite. There is a viewing platform above the falls that we hiked up to see a different view point and followed along the path to see the additional waterfalls that are in the river above Skogafoss.

    Short trip down the road led us to the trail to Kvernufoss where we were able to follow a trail behind the waterfall for some cool (but wet) views. To warm up we enjoyed an Icelandic cinnamon roll and a hot coffee.

    Kevin was ‘thrilled’ to walk for 40 mins through a barren wasteland in the rain to look at scrap metal. However it was pretty cool to see this US navy aircraft that crashed in 1973.

    The rain continued as we explored the cliffs at Dyrohólaey lighthouse and viewpoint, allowing expansive views of the black sand beach along the way. In typical weekend fashion we found ourselves a brewery to dry out - Smidjan Brugghus in Vik. The blueberry mylkshake IPA was delicious.

    Before hitting the grocery store for breakfast and lunch supplies for the next couple of days, we decided to go to the pool in Vik to warm up in the sauna and hot tub! Then we hit the road for our next campground in Skaftafell, right next to the glacier. Along the way we passed through the Eldhraun lava fields that span 565 square kilometres and are covered in thick woolly moss. This lava field is a result of the Laki fissure and Grimsvotn volcano eruption in 1783.

    Tomorrow is a tour day! We are both hoping for some sun tomorrow but are laying out plenty of layers for the morning just incase!
    Lue lisää