Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Bedtime Wrap

    March 7, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Today was the day I had planned to watch the sunrise on the beach. Erin was not so interested and valued her sleep more. So we compromised; I'd watch the sunrise over the harbour, which was opposite our accommodation and she would be ready before 8am. The sunrise was stunning and with a rise time after 7 am hardly any imposition at all.

    The early start was in order to get in a paddle to Hauturu Island, an island located a couple 100 metres off shore. We chose to stand up paddle board, Erin was a bit apprehensive at first and allowed our guide to tow her out there. Erin then had another go and this time quickly got to her feet and was soon motoring along. On the way back I got a little more adventurous and started to test the limits of the board. I found them and lost my sunnies to the deep blue as a result. On the plus side I did successfully ride a couple waves.

    We then scurried off towards Cathedral Cove as the clouds were starting to roll in. Then it was another trek down a hill. Erin was very unimpressed. But what a sight, these rock formations are magnificent, mother nature at her finest. The walk back to the car was a little damp because the rain caught us and quickly set in.

    Finally we made our way to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. Both of us were exhausted after today, so opted for a quixk pub meal before heading off to bed.

    More stories to come.

    Lysa XO
    Read more