Satellite
  • Day 9

    Party Hard

    September 30, 2017 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After lazy day trying to escape 45km/h winds. We headed to Joanna's Taverna. Set on the beach, we were hoping for great seafood but all we got was mediocre stuffed calamari.

    We headed back into town and found Montparnasse, a piano bar. It has a speak easy feel and is located on the waterfront. They have a large cocktail menu, I can highly recommend the Rhubarb Gimlet. Just before 10pm people appeared everywhere, it went from empty to packed in minutes. A pianist with a deep American drawl and a happy smile appeared. A silence fell. His fingers caressed the keys and music filled the bar. Requests came from the crowd, the first? Unsurprisingly Piano Man by Billy Joel.

    Phyllis, a Mediterranean lady in her sixties casually dressed in sneakers, black slacks, a shirt and a pink cardi. Her style clashed with the decor, but she took her place by the piano and serenaded us with her gravely voice. The night continued to improve when we discovered Phyllis had pizzazz, she had a dirty sense of humour and gave zero fucks. The set was fun, light and included favourites such as *****.

    Next we found a little bar called Alley. The service here was on pointe. The bar staff were attentive and we're soon making us all their favourite cocktails including a number that weren't listed on the menu. This place has the best cocktails I've tasted in Mykonos.

    At the recommendation of the bar staff at Alley we went back to Caprice. It was teeming with energy. The music was a mixture of Greek and 90s pop. My Salsa and newly learnt zorba moves featured on the dance floor.

    The night was carefree and fun and all to soon it was very very early. We were in bed before the sun, but only just.
    Read more