Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Venice!!

    June 26, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Last time I was in Venice, I was 19 years old and here with 2 couples. Can you say awkward??!! I’ve always looked forward to coming back here and to see it with Dave - who is experiencing the city for the first time - it’s truly magical. We arrived at the main train station and headed out to grab the water bus to our hotel (also known as Vaparetto). We got into the boat and stood there before realizing we weren’t actually standing on the boat, but we were in the floating bus terminal! It’s such a different mind frame when you realize everything around you is water-based.

    We wandered to our hotel, Al Theatro Palace, which was tucked away in a quiet little corner just a few minutes from Saint Mark's square. The hotel was recently renovated so rooms are nice, modern and clean. We only have a view of a brick wall, but that’s ok. We were starving by now (it was almost 2:30) so we put our stuff down in our very nice and clean room and headed out to find food.

    Dave wanted to eat at the first restaurant we saw, but my mind was set. We were going to the grand canal. And I’m so happy we did. We were able to get a table at Ristorante Omnibus overlooking the Grand Canal. It was a Grand introduction (see what I did there?) to Venice. We had our first pizzas and split a prosciutto and mushroom pizza and a pepperoni (spicy salami) pizza. Plus we each had an aperol spritz. It was perfect. We then decided to just stroll around. After all, that’s what everyone tells you to do here. We immediately both realized how exhausted we already were and ducked into Dolce Vita Patisserie for a doppio and had to try one of their sweets. We opted for the fiamme (flame) and it was delicious- a pastry filled with chantilly cream with chocolate and pistachios. We then proceeded to wander through all the the little streets. We loved just getting lost, finding little hidden streets, beautiful architecture and bridges that went no where. We even found a basilica that was built after the plague as a gift to the Saint of health to thank her for getting them through the plague.

    We probably did this for close to 3 hours but it was hot and we were tired so back to the hotel for a break and some air conditioning. Then it was time to explore a little more. We walked to Saint Marks Square where they were setting up for some big concert tomorrow. The architecture here is beautiful and we had the opportunity to see the famous pigeons. We walked around for a bit and then realized it was almost 8 and we were getting hungry. We settled on Osteria da Alex where we split a fritte mixto (mixed fried seafood), Dave had carbonara and I had spaghetti with clams. Plus a glass of house red for me and a Hugo for Dave. Food was really nice and we both enjoyed our meal, but didn’t love the mosquitos.

    Of course we couldn’t end the night without something sweet so we stopped at Suso gelato and got 3 flavors- tiramisu, cookies and salted caramel toffee. Eating gelato, being serenaded by an opera student, great end to an evening. Now back to the hotel to go to bed- fingers crossed!

    Walking Tally: 24,338 steps, 10.56 miles
    Read more