Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 172

    Serengeti National Park

    September 20, 2016 in Tanzania

    Safari Day 1
    Following the hike we headed for a 3 day safari with the US family (from our Kili hike) and Joy and Chris from California who also just summited Kili. The safari was way better than I expected. There were so many animals and the accommodations we stayed in were fabulous.

    Early breakfast and depart at 6:30am to Arusha Airport for our 8am flight to Serengeti National Park. The group had some issues with additional expenses that Climb Kili tried to charge but the American’s were all over that and got it sorted out for everyone.

    On arrival at the Serengeti airstrip we were picked up by our guide and enjoyed the rest of the day game viewing in the park. The Central Serengeti offers superb game viewing all year round due to its abundance of resident animals. Specifically, the Seronera River Valley in the Central Serengeti is a ‘must see’ on every safari regardless of the specific month of travel. Game viewing in Central Serengeti is at its best during the dry season (June - November) as resident animals are more concentrated in the immediate area due to the lack of water on the plains. Resident herbivores include impala, buffalo, hippo, warthog, topi, hartebeest and giraffe. Resident carnivores include lion and leopard. The guides all communicate by radio so when they see an animal all the drivers are notified which allows for lots of sightings. Today’s highlight was seeing an elephant 2 minutes after it was born. It was trying it’s hardest to walk. It was so cute and the herd was very protective.

    Dinner and overnight at Kilima Valley Tented Camp. We had a whistle in our tent that we were supposed to blow if we had any animal issues. Otherwise, we were just in a tent in the middle of the Serengeti. We had a huge king size bed in our tent, it was definitely glamping. We were able to enjoy a beer and a well-cooked meal with glorious views of the Serengeti. Quite the experience.
    Read more