Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 174

    Ngorongoro Crater

    September 22, 2016 in Tanzania

    Safari Day 3
    After breakfast we descended into the Ngorongoro Crater floor and enjoy game viewing. Often called the eighth natural wonder of the world, the Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact crater in the world. About 2 million years ago the Ngorongoro volcano erupted, and its walls collapsed. The volcano floor sank to create a natural enclosure with its 600m tall walls. Now, at over 19 kilometres wide, Ngorongoro Crater is filled with great areas of acacia forest, hippo filled swamps and open grasslands. These different habitats contain over 30,000 animals – including elephants, warthogs, flamingoes, magnificent birdlife, the rare black rhinoceros and all the predatory cats. The Maasai can also be seen grazing their cattle alongside the buffalo and wildebeest.

    We saw lots of animals in the crater. The highlight was a pride of lions gorging on a hippo kill. It was just like a live discover channel show. It was a bit funny because the hippo was killed right outside the washroom station in the park and the park attendant got in trouble for trying to shoe the lions away. He eventually got the rest of the day off.

    The Safari was way more fun than we anticipated. However, after 3 days of being driven around on those bumpy roads, we were ready to move on. In early afternoon we made our way back to Arusha. We said farewell to our new friends after the Safari and caught a late flight to Dar Es Salam.
    Read more