Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Athens to Patras

    July 24, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Mid-morning, we arrived at the Corinth Canal which connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Saronic Sea. Construction began in 1881, and it was first used on July 25th 1893. It had economic significance when first built, but is generally only used by small cruise ships and tourist boats now.
    Then to Mycenae, a UNESCO protected site we visited the “The Treasury of Atreus”, a beehive tomb. Its size and grandeur, make it one of the most impressive monuments of the Mycenaean period. Leaving here, we walked to the ancient ruins of the city of Mycenae, another "Acropolis".
    During the afternoon we arrived at the OIS sheep farm, owned by partners, Christi and Eula. They rear their sheep mainly for milk production, and base a lot of their farming practices on sheep farming in Israel. They do, however sell some sheep for meat.
    Both these women are engineers, but when Greece went into recession, they decided to establish the farm. Following our visit to the farm, Eula and Christi led the bus along a very windy, scenic road to a factory, where some of their milk is processed into cheese. Quite a long way from the farm.
    Late tea again.
    Read more