Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Greek Islands

    July 23, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Having an early start at 7.30, we headed by bus back to our Piraeus Port.
    We visited three islands by tourist boat. Our first visit was to Hydra Island. On arrival the island was a beautiful sight, with all the yachts moored up to the jetty. We had time here, to look at the shops, and have some refreshment before we boarded to travel to Poros. It as way too crowded for Steve's liking.
    On the way to Poros we had a beautiful buffet lunch. At Poros, we had a quick look at the small township and then we sailed to our final island, Aegina. The tour group elected to take a bus tour of Aegina. It was much more fertile than the other islands, and we saw many pistachio trees, fig trees and also pines. Along the way, we stopped to view the Greek Orthodox Church, The Cathedral of Saint Nectarios.
    On arrival back to the harbor, we visited Aegina’s Municipal Fish Market. This market has been operating for the past 70 years. The local fishing boats arrive to this market every morning, to sell their catch. The fish sold includes, anchovies, white bait, octopus, swordfish and a local fish, Katsoula. We were also given a tasting of a variety of seafood. It was pretty hot, dusty and dry so we wondered if it was a good idea to eat it. We did, didn't get sick.
    Read more