Satellite
  • Day 260

    Queenstown

    February 8, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Queenstown was reached after a long drive back along the Milford- Te Anau highway. We took in breakfast on the shores of Lake Gunn, after a short excursion to see The Chasm, a thunderous waterfall not far from Milford Sound. A magnificent sight, with potholes formed by small rocks being whirled around at great force.
    We then retraced our steps back through the countryside to Frankton - then on to Queenstown which is a town on Lake Wakatupi, which is renowned as the birthplace of the bungy jump. We resisted the temptation to have a go - there is every activity available to hire here on water , mountain or in the air.
    The town is full of tourists, young and old signing up to extreme activities.
    The town was bathed in sunshine and was very busy.
    We noticed an advert for a Whitsunday Island trip that we had been discussing for our return to Australia and have booked up a visit for late March. A celebratory wine on the lake side seemed appropriate, then a short walk around the headland to make room for some green lipped mussels.
    Friday fizz too - perfect!!! There was obviously a lot more to see in Queenstown, but time was running out and we have a fairly long drive tomorrow heading for the glaciers on the west coast.
    Read more