Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 631

    Sydney

    February 14, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We pitched up at Lone Cove National Park site in the northern suburbs of Sydney, where we are staying for a few days. We were soon visited by a curious water dragon, and again we are surrounded by bird life.
    On Saturday we went for a general wander around the city. Taking the metro and train into the Town Hall we wandered through the city past the Anzac memorial through to the Botanical Gardens. We popped in to the art galley for a look at their offerings, where there was a nice mix of the old and new. Some of the aboriginal art was very interesting.
    Continuing our walk we took in the gardens where there was a festival dedicated to the tomato, then on to Mrs Macquarie's seat for the iconic views of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. In the afternoon we took a walking tour hosted by Jasinda who took us through some of the less well known areas of the city and to some more of its landmarks.
    Sunday saw us taking the train into Central where we walked along to Victoria Park. We knew that this was going to be very colourful as the Park was hosting the start of the Mardi Gras fesitival which culminates in the Gay Pride Parade two weeks later. The LGBT fair did not disappoint -a very colourful morning with all sorts to see. Jamie had advised us previously that, when he applied for his Aussie citizenship, he could define his sexuality in any one of up to 25 ways on the application form and surely the fair must have encompassed them all. The LGBT logo had been extended to LGBTQIA on many stalls -there were certainly a good number of queens there - great fun and all very friendly. We then wandered down through Bath Street and Wellington Park to the fish market - it was absolutely buzzing and the food looked delicious - we resolved to spend a lunch time there whilst we were here - so we passed through to have a look at The Rocks Sunday Market. Our feet were tired after so much walking so we jumped on the Manly ferry at Circular Key and took a quick look at the beach there prior to a swift return.
    Read more