Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,382

    Tallebudgera Creek

    March 6, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    We decided that we must spend a little time on the Gold Coast, a city we had passed through before but never really stopped to look at. It is not the place we would usually be attracted to as it comprises of large skyscrapers and big commerce, however it extends for some miles along a very sandy beach.
    We stayed at Tallebudgera Creek Tourist Park which lies just inland at the Tallebudgera and Burleigh River Heads.
    On Tuesday we chilled out in the morning and then wandered along the Creek to the sea and took an amble down the beach looking toward Coolangatta at the southern end of the Gold Coast.
    Wednesday turned out to be a stinking hot day. We drove to the north end of the beach, through Surfers Paradise to Main Beach where we parked up. We wanted to send a small gift to Will and Sarah in Perth to celebrate the birth of Mia Mac, so we set off walking to the local mall to find a post office. The mall was about 1.5 miles away around The Broadwater, the day was getting hotter and hotter in the sunshine and the humidity was high. Returning to the car turned out to be a bit of an ordeal - the temperature had reached 34 degree and the sun relentless. We had intended to walk along the spit to The Broadwater entrance but bailed out as the effort was killing. On the plus side we did walk past the entrance to The Palazzio Versace which lovers of IMACGMOH would recognise – very upmarket. Helicopters were flying all day, from the nearby landing pad, taking tourists up for views of the city.
    We ended up driving along the spit where we fell into a restaurant for a cold beer. It was so hot and humid we did not walk the extra few hundred yards to see the sand pump jetty, preferring instead the air conditioned comfort of the car.
    That evening a storm passed through which was very welcome, bringing with it reduced temperatures and much lower humidity.
    Read more