Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,985

    Ulverstone

    October 30, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    We decided to complete another bush walk today in a different part of the hinterland behind Penguin.
    First off we drove to Sheffield, a farming town, where they have been trying to rejuvenate its fortunes by turning it into a mural town. They also have a mural street art festival each year like the one we saw in Bedminster Bristol. It was raining when we arrived and quite windy, so we did not complete the whole trail devised to show off the whole village. Some of the murals showed the history of the town, which were the ones on the sides of buildings, the competition ones in a separate park were a bit more abstract.
    The ladies in the Information office were very helpful as ever.
    We then drove to have a look at Lake Barrington, where we enjoyed our packed lunch at the Tasmanian rowing centre. We had a choice of two bush walks to do - The Billet Creek walk or the The Forbes Falls walk, both involved bush walks through tree fern lined rain forest and both involved a lot of climbing and descent. We chose to do the Falls walk which did not disappoint. The sounds in the rain forest are wonderful, with bird calls and the odd shuffle of wild life in the undergrowth. The waterfall at the bottom of the hill was running fast, discharging into a plunge pool prior to its final run to the lake below.
    On the way out we did a slight detour to have a look at the Woodhouse lookout, which is well placed on the road to give a view of the valley below.
    Everything is very green here in this north western part of the island, in part due to rainfall but also to the impressive number of irrigation schemes which are working everywhere we look. Farming is primarily green pasture for beef, milk and sheep, but we have also spotted Llamas and pigs too.
    Read more