Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2,129

    Bodo - day 4

    March 22 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Upon waking we looked out of our cabin window as we sailed past mountains covered in snow. We soon received an announcement to inform us that we would shortly be crossing the Arctic circle, which we did whilst sitting at breakfast. There is a metal globe on an island in the sea marking the position of this. However, we discovered that, apparently the Arctic circle moves 15 metres north each year - all due to the pull of the moon. The morning was spent at sea as we journeyed towards Bodo, our next stopping off place. We passed through snow-covered fjords - all very beautiful. Jo and Karen attended the Arctic circle ceremony. This involved a cupful of ice being poured down people's backs, followed by a drink of "pure vitamins" (a mix of chilli, lemon and grapefruit juice - quite revolting!).
    The ship meandered through the small passageways, which hug the coastline, giving us great views of the countryside with its smattering of local communities. At Ornes, the final stop prior to Bodo, a number of people disembarked the ship. We had planned on disembarking at Bodo to take a walk around the town. However the rain upon our arrival there put us off, and we opted to stay on board. We visited the bar for cocktails for the girls and beers for the men. We played cards (Barbu and Phase 10) - great fun.
    The night-time stop overs were in and around the Lofoten Islands, apparently a particularly beautiful part of the journey, Stamsund, Svolvaer, Stokmarknes, Sortland, Risoyhamn and just prior to breakfast Harstad..
    Read more