Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Shopping

    April 11, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 3 °C

    We were having a slower day today - going to do some shopping around the area.

    First we had our usual breakfast at a bakery - I think we aways surprise them with how much we order - generally at least two things each 😂😳 there wasn’t a lot of room in there so we sat on the window seats to eat. Then we bought hot drinks from another shop where the boys had bought coffees the other day. I ordered a hot chocolate, forgetting that they have two sorts - hot chocolate and cocoa. The hot chocolate is very strong dark chocolate flavour - too much for me. Oh well, I’ll get it right eventually!

    We caught the metro to an area Kyria had looked up and just walked around checking out the shops. We had a look at some souvenir shops but nothing really caught my eye. I prefer souvenirs that are useful, not just dust collectors.

    The first shop we looked in was a fancy emporium. They had displays of very gourmet foods such as cheeses salami, marzipan, chocolate, biscuits, macarons, cheesecake and many more. Heidi was quite fascinated with the piano playing music of its own accord! The only problem with all of the products is you wouldn’t want to eat any of them because they look too good to eat!

    We also went to a sort of shopping centre and wandered around the shops in there. Half were souvenir shops and the other half very expensive looking. Upstairs, out on the balcony we discovered an array of random waxworks which seemed a strange place to have them. We walked to the other end and discovered that we were supposed to have tickets! A lady came out and told us we needed tickets however we had seen it all at that point! There had been no sign or anything at the door we’d walked out. When we walked inside another lady shook her finger at us like we were naughty children. We were slightly miffed - if they didn’t want people going out there without tickets then they should either lock the other doors or put signs up! We didn’t know!

    We were planning to have lunch at a restaurant where the famous poet Pushkin ate his last meal before fighting a duel and dying! On the way we made a brief stop at what was advertised as a chocolate museum but when we went down into it, turns out it was more of a shop than a museum. I succumbed to buying a little chocolate cow figure - they were so cheap! I think I’m going to fill my suitcase with chocolate and bring it back - it’s so much cheaper over here!!

    We had a pleasant lunch overlooking the river and then we split up as Eli and I wanted to being Heidi home for a sleep. Mike and Kyria went to visit St Isaac’s Cathedral.
    Read more